Ingredients for around 8 Cannoli:
For the wafers
- 110 gr of 00 Flour Green Type
- 15 gr butter or lard
- 15 gr of sugar
- 40ml of Marsala wine or dry white wine
- Half a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Half a spoon of vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- Frying oilseed
For the inside:
- 400 gr sheep ricotta
- 100 gr candied fruit
- 100 gr chocolate drops
- 180gr sugar
- 2 spoons of orange flour water
Metallic cylinders are required
- Pour the sifted 00 Flour Green Type on the desk, in a fountain shape, put at the center a spoon of sugar, some salt, cocoa, vinegar, butter and Marsala (or dry white wine), so that you obtain a consistent dough.
- Knead the mix, then shape a ball. Wrap it in a film or in a cloth and let it stand for 1 hour in a fresh place or at the bottom of the fridge.
- For the inside, knead the sifted ricotta (must be dry) in a mixing bowl with orange flour water and the sugar. When the mix will be creamy add the rest of the ingredients and put it into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Stretch the pastry (by hand or with the machine) at 2mm thickness and, using an 8-10cm diameter cutter, shape some disks. You could also cut 10cm sided squares.
- Use some small metallic pipes and wrap a disk on each of them, overlapping two sides and joining them with a glue done like this: 1 egg, 2 spoons of flour, 1 spoon of water, which will be mixed until a consistent batter is obtained. Alternatively, you can also use egg white as glue. When wrapping the disks please take care they are not too adherent to the pipes. Leave some space so that the cannoli can inflate a bit.
- Fry the cannoli in abundant oil (don’t make it smoke), and when they are well-gilded, strain them of absorbent paper. When they cool down extract them from the pipes. Repeat the operation for the rest of the dough.
- Stuff the cannoli by using a teaspoon or a pastry chef pocket with very large opening. Cannoli have to be stuffed right before serving them, otherwise the wafer will become soft because of humidity absorption. If it is not possible, use the melted chocolate to cover the inner wall by using a brush.
- Garnish each single cannolo with some candied orange or cherry. Finally, sprinkle some powdered sugar.