Its name perfectly fits its shape. Beloved by children (and not only), mafalda is the classic soft Sicilian sandwich covered by sesame seeds, which is even more tasty if hot and with nutella or mini cheese. Even alone is very good!
sibilmente con nutella o formaggino. Anche da solo non lascia indifferenti!
- flour 1 kg
- water 550ml
- olive oil 45g
- yeast 35g
- salt 20g
- malt or sugar 5g
- Melt the yeast in little quantity of lukewarm water. Pour the flour type 00 Mister Sprint in a roomy container and add oil, mail and yeast. Start mixing the ingredients, then dilute with lukewarm water and add salt.
- Knead the mix for at least 15 minutes, then let it stand in a place without any air current for at least 1 hour and a half. When it has risen, re-knead it for few minutes and cut it 6 parts.
- Shape each portion in a 1-2cm diameter cordon manner: create a sort of folded wavy line, going from the left to the right (zigzag).
- Don’t fold the last part of the line, but arrange it perpendicularly on the mafalda, for all its length. Brush the surface with humid hands and cover it with sesame seeds so they easily stick on to the pastry.
- Bake it at 220°C for around half an hour, then at 200°C for further 15 minutes.
You could also avoid the malt, however its use is suggested to obtain a softer and fluffy dough. For an optimal rising you can also keep the dough in the oven (closed and turned off) after having slightly preheated it at 40°C. Finally we remind you that the oven must be already hot when putting inside the mafaldas